Valentine's Day SMS Marketing campaigns seem like a no-brainer for February content, because almost everybody is thinking about Valentine's Day....and that's the problem. It takes a lot for a Valentine-related marketing message to get any kind of attention. Instead, try cycling in content about other lesser-known holidays and events.
The reason Valentine themes rule February marketing is because it's the most famous holiday of the month, but consider some other holidays. Some people know about, while others are obscure enough that you get to inform as well as entertain and sell.
- February 12 -- Abraham Lincoln's Birthday
- February 14 -- National Organ Donor Day
- February 14 -- National Condom Awareness Day
- February 16 -- Do a Grouch a Favor Day
- February 18 -- President's Day
- February 20 -- George Washington's Birthday
- February 20 -- Love Your Pet Day
- February 26 -- National Pistachio Day
The month also has its fair share of observance and awareness markers. February is.....
- American Heart Month
- Black History Month
- Canned Food Month
- Heart and Stroke Month
- National Wise Health Consumer Month
- National Senior Independence Month
- National Children's Dental Health Month
- National Weddings Month (despite June being the busiest month for weddings)
- National Grapefruit Month
The first week of February is World Salt Awareness Week and National Consumer Protection Week. The second commemorates Burn Awareness and Congenital Heart Defect Awareness. Week three of February includes Children of Alcoholics Week, National Cardiac Rehabilitation Week and Random Acts of Kindness Week. The fourth week of the month encompasses both Trails Advocacy Week, Freedom to Read Week and National Eating Disorder Awareness Week.
If there's nothing in all of those days you can use to engage with your subscriber list, you're probably better off sticking to basics (we've got some ideas for you there too). Whether you celebrate these observances humorously or seriously, with a sale or a trivia contest, you'll get the attention you deserve by standing out. Don't forget to look into local festivals and events for additional opportunities. Basketball, wrestling, volleyball and swimming seasons are still running strong at your local high school, and the weather may just be starting to change.